I have always loved the large racks that you place each thread spool on but I have a tiny little room and it just isn't feasible. I needed something where I could "see" the thread colors and something that could stack to help with my storage issues...so this is my Sewing Thread Storage box and it is my solution for storing my thread! The box is approximately 8-3/4" x 5-1/8" x 1-1/2" and has a hinged lid, two inside boxes, and an acetate cut. The two inside boxes are about 2-1/2"x 8-5/8" which holds a variety of spool sizes as well as other items such as glitter bottles, dew drops, or items for gifting! This box is also customizable. You could leave the two inside boxes out and have a large box with viewable storage for larger items or you could use the "release compound path" and remove the two viewable areas from the lid and have a hinged gift box! The Sewing Thread Storage box can be cut on either the 12x12 or 8-1/2x12 mats as well!
1. Start with the lid and acetate cut. Fold on all the score lines.
2. Add adhesive to the edges of the window cuts and in the middle as shown.
3. Adhere the acetate to the window area of the lid.
4. Next grab your box base cut. Add adhesive to the long tab of the lid piece as shown.
5. Adhere the tab to the box base as shown.
6. Place adhesive on all the tab pieces (6 in total).
7. Adhere the two tabs in the lid to the inside areas of the box as shown.
8. Next adhere the two box base tabs to the sides as shown.
9. Complete the box by adhering the two middle tabs to the box base edge.
10. For your inside boxes, fold on the score lines then add adhesive to the tabs.
11. Adhere the tabs to the outside of the box as shown.
12. Your boxes should look like this now.
13. Add adhesive to the box edges and in the bottom of the tray. Place the first box in the tray and adhere the sides.
14. Place the second box inside the tray and adhere the sides together.
15. Insert your thread spools then close the box.